Sunday, April 21, 2013

The much Maligned Superfood - Dandelion!

Now that spring seems to finally be springing, I was completely thrilled the other day to see a Dandelionplant  peeking out from under the edge of a building.  It has been too long since I have had the benefit of the fresh Dandelion.

The wonderful Dandelion has been much maligned.  Called a pest, a weed, a scourge, and has  - at least in our state - caused more than one neighbor to call out another in an effort to get said neighbor to keep them out of his yard!

We need to change the way we look at Dandelions.  These amazing plants are one of the ultimate superfoods, a complete natural power bar!  Dandelion contains vitamins A, C, K, as well as the minerals Calcium, Potassium, Maganese, and Iron. There is also some protein and fiber in there.
The leaves can be used in salads, quiche, on sandwiches, and pretty much can replace lettuce or spinach whenever necessary.  And it's FREE!  I have had the occasion however, when I did not harvest enough to get me through the winter and then it is very expensive!  Yikes!  $24.00 per pound (you usually only need a few ounces though).  If you are harvesting the plant make sure you get enough, at the same time harvesting responsibly.

The roots of the Dandelion can be used as well as the flowers and leaves.  The whole plant has value.  The root can be used fresh or dried.  I prefer to use them dried as the fresh root is a little bit bitter.  Once dried it can be used in teas and tinctures.  The root makes a great blood cleanser when combined with some other herbs.  See the recipe below.

Dandelion flowers can be made into wine.  It takes a lot of flowers.  I have a recipe but I havent tried it yet.  Its on the bucket list.

Harvest the leaves the way that you would spinach. Wash them and pat them dry, then put on your drying rack. Make sure they get completely dry - to the crisp crumbly point. Store them in an airtight container. I use cooling rack to dry this type of leaf. It has big enough holes to let air circulate without the leaves being able to mold before they are dry. I also use cooling rack to dry the dandelion root. Harvest the roots as you would a carrot. Wash and pat dry, then cut into small dices or thin strips and lay out to dry completely. Store also in an airtight container. Make sure you label well as Dandelion root looks a lot like Burdock root when dried.

Dandelion grows just about anywhere, though I have struggled to grow it indoors!  Yes I have tried - that is how much I love this plant.  Our Guinea pig loves it too!  If I were on a desert island and could have only one plant - I choose Dandelion!
 
Detox Tea
(My sister in law calls it dirt tea but it works really well)
Use this when you are getting too run down, or when you have had to take anitbiotics, or have had an allergic reaction to something.

 
1/2 oz. dry Burdock root
1/2 oz dry Dandelion root
 Boil these two ingredients in 5 quarts of water for 1/2 hour then remove from heat and add:
 
1 oz. dry chickweek
1 oz. dry dandelion leaf
1 oz. dry nettle leaf
1 oz. dry red clover flowers and leaf
1/2 oz. dry mint
1/2 oz. dry lemon balm
1/4 oz. dry stevia leaf (this is to add a little sweet - you can sub honey after the brew is done if you like.
Optional:  1 oz. dry rose hips
 
Let steep until cool and then strain and store in the fridge for up to a week.  Drink two cups a day for 7 days.  I store it in glass tall juice jars and I thin it a little when I pour it.  It is great with ice and lemon and I have heated it as well to get warm when I needed it.
 
May you have good health this summer and take a different view of the world and especially the amazing Dandelion!



No comments:

Post a Comment