Monday, April 15, 2013

Tax day and too much snow!

Last year on tax day we had plants in the greenhouse! 
 
This year on the same day we still have 2 feet of snow and it was -6 on Tuesday of last week!  Even though the sun shone brightly today it still snowed for 1/2 hour!  If I was a person prone to depression today certainly wouldd have sent me over the edge - it nearly did anyway!

 
The boys arent too unhappy to have sun and snow, but now my kitchen table has become the greenhouse and the plants arent as happy as they would be if they had the natural light of the greenhouse.  The decks on the house shade the windows just enough to keep it from being a perfect kitchen table greenhouse.  Not to say that the plants wont be allright on the dining room table, but usually by the end of April we have turned off the furnace in the house and all the plants are out in the greenhouse!
On the plus side - it did get up to 70 in the greenhouse and is stil 56 degrees at 9:30 pm in there - without any additional heating sources - yet!  Stay tuned for a solar build that we are planning since for once we will get a nice tax return!  We are planning our solar system now to provide lights and heat for the greenhouse so we wont have to have kitchen table greenhouse anymore.

 
If it sounds like I am trying to speak something into existance, I am!  I should have laundry hanging out on th line!  I should be planting squash and cukes and other yummy veggies!  But with 2 feet of snow still on the ground it will be quite some time before I will be able to plant anything outside so I can't get it going inside or it will end up being leggy and not as nice as I like them to be, and I don't have room for all of the wonders I want to plant until I can get some of it in the greenhouse. 
 
We do have a couple of new varieties of tomato that we are growing (Ill post about them as we go and grow) and Reed some fun new veggie seed coming that he hopes to have ready for an upcoming plant sale.  Keep sending us warm thoughts and send prayers and blessing to those who owe Uncle Sam and to those who are suffering in Boston and around the globe today!  Blessed Be!
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment