Monday, September 2, 2013

Pallet recycle - easy compost bins!

We have done some serious upcycling here at Wicked Raven Farm, but this one is a fun and easy upcycle of two pallets into a compost bin  for all the extra grass clippings and organics that are produced by a yard, gardens and kitchens.

I started with two of the pallets that had the slats fairly close together and using the saw shown below I cut them in half - or close to in half - because of the center post that helps hold the pallet together I had to cut just above it.  So I had two halves that are shorter and two that are taller.  I didnt even have to take any slats off - just cut em as is!

It worked well and I was able to screw together the sides with the two taller across from each other and the short ones across from each other.  The other tools I used are an electric drill and some good decking screws.

 This is the set up I used to put it together.
Here is the box in its (probably) forever home!  I have already put some of the newest grass clippings and yard rubble in it in this photo you can just see it peeking up in the box.  I did use some other left over board slats for the open ends of the pallets so nothing falls out.  They were ones that had fallen off of other pallets - didnt even have to work to get them off!

The above photo shows three of my composting systems - the center box is the older one that has nearly completed compost in it.  It is a recylce/upcycle as well - I got it free from Jackovich - it's an engine/cable crate that they were going to throw away!  All I had to do was ask and load it into my car!   I dont want to add anymore product as I need to be able to use it soon and it gets really hard to turn the compost in a box that is so deep.  The black barrell behind it is my rolling composter - it works great but it also has a nearly completed batch in it and if I add more I dont think Ill be able to turn it!  Hence the need for the new box to put the organics in!
 
Total project time was only about an hour and a half and free!
 
Stay tuned for another round of pallet upcycle coming soon!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Frndz....
    Great Information! Nice post,it is really very helpful for me.One of the few articles I’ve read today.I’m saying thanks

    Pallet Boxes

    ReplyDelete