Saturday, June 7, 2014

Winters loss is a Summers Gain!

This past winter we had a couple of items that didn't make it into the storage shed and were lost to the elements!  The bearings on the riding mower, a plastic watering can, and my favorite watering can of all time, this little galvanized beauty!  It was still full of water when it froze solid and busted out the side!

You can see in the above photo how the bottom is rounded - not supposed to be- and what you cant see that is also not supposed to be is a large crack between the bottom of the can and the walls!  It won't hold water at all!  So I did what any self respecting gardener would do to honor her favorite watering can's demise as a watering can - I up-cycled it into a great planter!


I started by putting a little gravel for drainage in the bottom of the can.


Then I filled it with good soil to the top.  Pack it in a little so it doesn't sink so far that your plants can't be seen over the top of the can.  Put your favorite flower seeds in and water it well.


You end up with a wonderful little planter watering can that will last for almost ever!  I planted mine with Nasturtiums as they are edible, beautiful and add a great pop of color in this corner where the driveway meets the house and I have all of my kitchen herbs that don't usually have flowers on them.


Once the flowers are gone and the seed pods have formed, dry them out and use them for croutons!  They make a peppery, crunchy crouton that are wonderful on salads or as topping with panko for your mac n cheese!  You can also use the pods fresh to add a peppery pop to your fresh greens, or pickle them and use like capers!  Ill post some pictures of that this fall so you can see them.

What did you lose over the winter that became something great for the summer?  I hope it makes up for the loss as my little watering can planter did!  Enjoy the summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment