Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Put it on the list - Take care of yourself!

“Reading is my inhale, and writing is my exhale.  If I am not reading and writing regularly, I begin to suffocate and tend to climb the nearest person like a frantic cat, clawing at the persons eyeballs and perching on his head, desperate to find a breath of air.”  Glennon Doyle Melton – Carry On Warrior.
That is totally me!  I feel that way often and while Glennon’s husband appears to have “got it”, my husband is made crazy by the crazy frenetic cat lady, or the crazy writer scribbling in any number of notebooks, scraps of paper, or back of envelope/receipt/bank statement/business card.  He has stopped asking me why Im writing things down or what Im writing down – to be honest some of the things that have inspired me have been seriously weird after he mentioned it to me and I thought about it.  But eventually it will all come together and turn into a great blog or at the very least a great chapter in a novel!
Why do we have to have other people “understand” why we do things?  Why can’t we do them because they make us feel alive, whole, ok, healthy, safe, etc….. any number of things that can be cured by simply taking some time for ourselves.  That really is what I get out of reading and writing.  It is for me – time to do something that I like to do, and taking a break from my whack-a-doodle life for a few minutes to jot down an idea, or read about something I am interested in!  I spend so much time – and I know all moms do- dealing with other peoples things, dreams, interests, crises, etc… that often I don’t do any self care nor do I spend any time in my own head.  Some days I have no idea what is going on up there!
I also jot down lists of things that I would like to get done.  Sometimes these lists amount to pages and pages of “to do’s” and its gets quite overwhelming.  I have to spend a little time with myself and pare down the list to the things that REALLY have to be done.  Or I make a list of things that I need to do outside and inside so Im not feeling like a bad weather day is wrecking my whole list or my whole day.  If the weather is nice I do outside stuff and if it’s not I do the indoor stuff!


(Above photo is the lists currently in my planner on top of my calendar!  I do not recommend this).
Since I had a hysterectomy a few years ago my memory is not great – especially if I run out of the hormone replacements (it’s a whole other blog and someday Ill do that one) so writing things down is a saving grace so I don’t forget to do the basics even!  Sometimes the writing down of my lists gets me writing (inspired) and I spend 15 minutes writing something I want to write – besides the list!  Usually one of the things on my list is “write for 15 minutes”.  
The point is – take time to do things for yourself – whether other people understand why you do them or not!  Even 15 minutes a day will make a difference for you and probably for your family!

Be inspired and Be Blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment