Sunday, May 6, 2018

Gramma gets a Gift!


Well - I know I promised some gardening and yard blog posts but.... still freezing at night and I think if I uncover very many things I won't have very many things live through!  We had snow and hail just a few days ago, and today is more wind and rain.  Just too cold to work outside for very long at all!  

So I am forced to quilt and write!  Not such a bad way to spend a day!

Gramma Gittlein is not actually related to us.  She is a neighbor up the hill, and she is a great neighbor.  She treats us just like we are her kids or grandkids and she loves Reed and his friends.  It is mutual.  She has seen a ton of quilts go out the door from my workshop, and she will often give an opinion on how well she likes this one or that one or sometimes what she doesnt like too.


That is Gramma Gittlein on the right above.

I finally got a chance to make her one for this last Christmas.  I had got the fabric at the massive quilters estate sale that we went to last year (you can read about it here)

Im not sure why but the colors just reminded me of her and it was a bit of a challenge as the pattern was written for a three fabric collection and this pack had about 10 different fabrics.  I made it at two different family quilt retreats that I went to - Gramma comes to the quilting room to check out what Im doing every so often and this quilt had to be put together by laying it out properly before you could sew the whole thing together.  She would have seen it if I had tried to build it here at the house.

A bit of the quilting detail.

I didnt quilt it - it was quilted bu Jean Greco at Briar Rose Quilting.  She does such a fantastic job.

It is now a competition for Gramma as to how her quilt is better than any that we are looking at.  "I like mine better because _____ "  she will say.  Every time.  It is the greatest gift a quilter can get, when someone loves their gift so much that there will never be a better one made by anyone in their eyes.  That is the best I can do.  The best any quilter can do.  It is a way to pass ono the love to others and have it last long past when the gift was given.

Stay tuned - the kids are graduating - including Reed and I have some gradation quilts that you will ge to see soon!  Maybe some other quilts too if it doesnt warm up!  Blessed be!

No comments:

Post a Comment