Sunday, June 4, 2017

Love your people - the quilted edition

I did a blog a few months ago (9 exactly actually) about loving your people now that we have lost one of our dear ones.  I am still "getting through" things and some days I simply put my feet on the floor and march forward and try not to cry all day.  We have good days and bad weeks but the good days are getting closer together now.  I am also trying to do things with people more and do more of the things that I love to do - like quilting.  So off I went to the family quit retreat this past April.  While I was there my family members gave me a special gift - The People Quilt!


One of my super creative cousins (Patricia) designed the quilt and sent out blocks for the family members.  Some did the X and O blocks in the center part (Kisses and Hugs the block is called), and others did the "people" blocks around the outside.  It was a funny story because when she sent the people blocks out she gave some simple directions and then about three days later she sent a note saying that the people they made needed to look like them!  AACK! is what most of the ladies said!

Here we are checking it out at retreat.  You can see some of the people, a soccer player and a ballerina (cousins daughters) there are a couple of cowboys (an aunt and a cousin), a fairy (cousins daughter), and everything in between!  All the blocks are signed but you can still tell who did which ones by looking at them.  They do look like the people who made them!


This is the bow from the package that the quilt was wrapped in - it was beautifully wrapped and this bow is hand made by the same creative cousin who designed the quilt.  The bee in the middle is felted wool and it is so cute!


Below is the label on the back of the quilt.  The quilt backing is a warn and wonderful fleece and it gives the quilt a really good weight for sleeping under.  


The flowers on the label are from a fabric that was used to make an anniversary quilt for an aunt and uncle - a beautiful forget me not fabric that has meaning for all of the family but is certainly appropriate for the quilt.



I had occasion to stay overnight at the Big Lake Rec Center while the High School was hosting a gun show - you'll learn more about that in another blog - but the people quilt came with me and made for a great sleep in the center and warm.  The people quilt is my new travel and every day sleeping quilt.  Ill give you some updates as we go as to the travels of the people quilt - its like my own version of "Flat Stanley".

There is a saying that when you sleep under a quilt you sleep under a blanket of love and this quilt is certainly,  literally sleeping under a blanket of love from my family where ever I go!

  Safe Journeys where ever you may go and may you have a blanket of love to sleep under when you get there!  Blessed Be!



No comments:

Post a Comment