Sunday, June 25, 2017

Keeping the Birds!

As you know from my previous blog "How Much is 15  minutes?"  I try to quilt at least 15 minutes a day.  Sometimes that happens and sometimes it doesn't.  Since my son passed away I seem to do more sitting and thinking than I do quilting but sometimes I quilt too.  Usually once I get started I work for more than 15 minutes - kind of get in the groove so to speak.

I told you before about retreat and the block drawings we do - each of us do a block or two based on a theme or on a pattern that has been nominated at a previous retreat.  I have been pretty lucky and have won them a few times over the years.  Of course, I have made a ton of blocks to do it.

The last time I won blocks was about a year and a half ago - I won the Birds!  The above picture shows the bird blocks on the wall at retreat before the drawing.  Each star block has a bird in the center square.  Our theme besides the bird cutouts was fall colors so it gave a really big variety of colors.

!

Above shows one of the blocks after the quilter was finished with it.  I dont quilt this size of quilts yet - I dont have room nor do I have the machine but I have a wonderful lady at Briar Rose Quilts that adds her art to mine and makes for a beautiful combination.

Many times when I win blocks I have need of a quick quilt for a fundraiser, a chemo patient or for a gift for someone - in other words I give them away!  I also told you in a previous blog about cutting up our bed quilt and up cycling it into items such as pillow covers and such - so we had no quilt on out bed.  The hubby asked me numerous times - "How can it be that you are a quilter and we dont have a quilt on our bed?  You make them!"  SO....I am keeping the birds!



Here is is in all it's glory finished and on the bed!  I love how the colors are fall but with the light colored background it keeps it nice and bright in our room!  Sanctuary!

Blessed Be!

No comments:

Post a Comment