Monday, June 25, 2012

100 Watt Computing

I read the other day that leaving your computer running 24/7 is the equivalent of leaving a 100 watt light bulb burning 24/7! (It was either Mother Earth News or Hobby Farm article).  I dont know one person who would leave a 100 watt light bulb burning except to heat the chicken coop for the baby chicks!  Turn it off!  It can make almost a $20.00 difference in your electric bill as well.  I have been turning my computer off if I am leaving the building for more than an hour and at night as well.  In one short month I have seen a near $20.00 drop in electric bill.  If you want to spend $20.00 on something send it to the local food bank or homeless program, (MYHouse is a good one), or to any number of things that will make really good use of that money!  I have not been able to find anything that says that it will harm your computer in the least to turn it off, and it takes only a few minutes for it to boot up again - bathroom time, tea/coffee making time, or any number of things you can use those minutes for - it's all good!  And don't forget to turn your lights off as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment