Sunday, March 10, 2013

I blame the Wicked Laundry!

This was the view I woke up to today!  You know why I woke to this today?  Because I hung laundry on the clothesline yesterday!  It was such a beautiful day, and had been for about three days in a row.  I am so craving springtime that I was rushing to have that line dried smell on my clothes and bedding!  So - Mother Nature messed with me a little but once I pulled the clothes off the line and put them in the dryer, it did take less time for them to dry and they do have that great outdoors scent that I was needing!  Im pretty sure the birds were laughing at me though!
This is what it should look like!
 
The recipe below for home made laundry soap is awesome to give you a little of the fresh spring smell you need when Winter wont let up and you cant hang the laundry out with out ticking off Mother Nature!  This is also very safe for  folks like us who are lakefront and need to be careful what we put in our septic systems so we dont kill off the life in or around the lake!  Enjoy!

Homemade Laundry Soap
 
16 oz. grated castile soap
1- 78 oz. box Borax
1 - 16 oz. box Baking Soda
1- 55 oz box Washing Soda
3 Tbsp essential oil or your choice - I usually alternate between Lavendar and Rosemary.
 
You may have to buy solid castile soap and grate it with a cheese grater.  Once you have all the ingredients ready, mix the essential oil into the baking soda and mix quickly so it doesn't lump up.  Next put all the ingredients into a bucket or other container with an airtight lid, putting your baking soda mix on top.  Ths keeps the scent from getting left on the bottom of the container and not goiing into your wash.  Mix together well and use 2 - 3 Tablespoons per washload.  I have an HE washer and this works fine in the HE system even on cold water wash.
 
This recipe will do upwards of 200 loads!  Enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. I made this recipe with Lavendar scented castile soap and it worked wonderfully! I was also able to make 1/2 of the recipe and it fits into one of the 2 gallon "ice cream" buckets! I did have to grate the castile myself to have the scent already in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do you get castile soap?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get mine at the natural food store. They have it in the laundry section or in the shampoo section.

      Delete