Tuesday, July 2, 2013

A Promise Kept - A Wicked Raven Designs Tale

About two years ago I made a quilt for the Houston High School Hockey team to raffle off (I actually make one a year for the cause), and while I was parading it around the school selling raffle tickets, one of the young ladies from the school who has had less than a desirable path so far, been homeless, kicked out, couch surfed, etc.... asked me what she would have to do to get a quilt made by me.  She had also been struggling with her grades and getting to and staying in school.  I told her that if she graduated from high school I would make her a quilt.  She kept her promise and I kept mine!
 
 
I won these blocks at a family quilt retreat last November and the colors were just right for a great batik purple fabric I had waiting for the perfect project.  It is bright and cheerful and a little smaller than double sized so it should travel well with her to college - she already is there getting started on doing great things!  We all have something we can do to make someone's life a little better - for me it's quilting and gardening, for some it's cooking, and for others it's helping them plan great things.  Although I am sad to see my family blocks go far away, I know this quilt has a higher purpose and needs to travel with this young lady and not be stored in a closet or on the back of a couch!  Happy Days!

No comments:

Post a Comment