Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Of Mice and M&M's

You all know I struggle with pests here at Wicked Raven Farm.  I have written before about how many things I have tried to get rid of the white flies and the ants!  But because of the super mild winter this year the mice and shrews have become my biggest problems now,



But not for long!  Behold the "Cat Traps and the Peanut M&M's"!  These little beauties are easy to use, don't poison any wildlife, water or waterfowl , and although the mice/shrews do die - that's the only way I have found to rid the farm of them and they are safe to leave to for the owls and eagles, shrikes and ravens of course - a delightful snack.

I have tried a number of different baits for these traps, but the most effective one I have found so far is peanut M&M's.  Something about the peanut with the chocolate and candy coating seems to be irresistible to the rodent world!

I have set these all over the place in the little rat runs and so far this spring I have caught 4 mice!  I'm not going to sully my pages with pictures of dead mice - you're welcome - but if you do decide to take this route and you do catch some mice - place them in a brush pile or at the base of a tree and see what happens - chances are a bird of some kind will swoop down and make a meal of it - or in the case of the bald eagle - a light snack! Or you might catch a glimpse of a fox sneaking off with it!

I hope your spring is shaping up to be pest free and sunshiny bright - I have to go set some traps!

No comments:

Post a Comment