Saturday, September 30, 2017

A Ploughmans Lunch


My greenhouse did very well this year in spite of the crappy weather and the gloomy cloud cover.  It really was my best cucumber year ever!  I had really great success with pickle cukes and this year for the first time in a long time I got to make the quick pickles that my grandmother used to make.  They are super simple and you can make a little or a lot at a time.

Start with at least 2 or 3 pickle cukes, I slice mine into rounds about 1/8th inch thick (Ill tell you why in a minute) or you can cut them into spears.  I also slice some carrots into sticks to put in as well.  It adds some fun color and they are tasty as well.


Layer your cukes and carrots into whatever size jar you have chosen to use - place either fresh or dry dill in between the layers of veg – I have used both and it works well with either.   I use a mix of jar sizes since they aren’t going in the pressure cooker and  I like to use wide mouth best as it makes the pickles easier to get out of the jar.  Pack them in pretty good as they loosen up when the brine goes in.




In a saucepan heat 3 C of Vinegar, 2 Tbsp. of coarse sea salt ( I like the pink but any will do), ½ tsp celery seed,  1 tsp. mustard seed, ½ tsp turmeric, ¼ tsp chili flakes or white pepper,  and ¼ to ½ C. sugar (I use less since my people like them more dill and less sweet).














 Heat to just boiling and then pour the brine over the vegetables to completely cover the them.  


Put the lids on them and refrigerate immediately until cool.  The jars will usually seal themselves 
but it is best to leave them in the fridge for storage.

These make a beautiful hostess gift as well.  Such a pretty jar!

I like to make them as a sliced pickle because a favorite snack at our house is sort of a ploughmans lunch -usually cheese, pickle and bread– we make it on a cracker with sharp white cheese (you can use whatever cheese you like though) and then a slice of pickle on top of that.  To make a meal out of it add some apple slices and a little ham.  It’s a great farm lunch and it’ll help to keep you sturdy and regular!


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment