Sunday, August 19, 2018

When it rains - you improvise!


It was strangely hot and dry here at Wicked Raven for weeks in July, but now that August is here it has been like a Monsoon has come, pouring rain and filling up all the water barrels.  Overflowed them in fact!




I looked for any water receptacle I could find to harness as much as I could to use when the hot dry came back! (Because surely it will right?)


Even went so far as to take my compost bin out of the greenhouse to fill with water, and some 5 gallon buckets as well.


Once everything filled to the brim - there was still water coming down and over the tops of the barrels so I had to improvise a way to keep the greenhouse footings from being flooded out by the rain barrels overflow.


Enter the broken downspout connection from the rain gutter! 


I was able to use it in the end of an extra piece of the rain gutter downspout  and divert the excess water onto the lawn and away from the greenhouse.  I put the broken piece of the spout right under the little metal diversion from the water barrel so that it caught the stream and diverted it.



I worked like a charm and with the empty bucket underneath any that didnt go down the spout went into the bucket.  I use the 5 gallon buckets to dump water into my greenhouse barrels so I dont have to fill those with the hose all the time and the plants get a little nutrition from the rain as well!   It is a bit of a maze to try to get through the buckets, barrels and pipes though - don't try it at a run unless you are young!  I'm too old for that hurdling!



I hope you have sunshine with enough rain to fill your barrels to the brim!

Blessed be!






No comments:

Post a Comment