Thursday, October 4, 2018

Cheery cherries!

I have been trying to grow fruit of any kind out here at Wicked Raven Farm for years... as you have probably read in my previous blogs!  Apples, cherries, berries and even a russian pear tree were all getting mowed down by the moose until we were finally able to do the fencing surrounds around them.  (Read about that here).  This year (actually last year also) we finally got some fruit - Cherries! Besides the one apple that we got last year we ended up with about 14 cherries. 


This is the Bali/Evans cherry tree - yes still in its surround - not taking any chances with it this time!  My trees came from Snowfire Gardens stock, my parents place.  They have a large variety of fruit trees and theirs produce every year.  I also have some Carmine Jewel Cherry trees but they are just babies still.


This view I took from underneath the tree looking up through the branches - yes that is sun you see causing the fog on the picture - but the rosy glowing orbs are Cherries!!!  I have two of these trees and they are each about 13 years old.  They have finally gotten big enough and been protected enough that they are able to produce!  I know that is sad - I'm not sure if I'm crazy for still trying with these or just tenacious!?


I had to prop up the branches all around the bottom so they could get good air circulation and so the bees could get to the blossoms more easily - we were a little short on bees this spring.


Lovely cherries in ziplock bag all ready to make a pie with!  Yes, only one bag full but we more than doubled our production this year and if that happens next year we will be in good shape - at least cherry wise!  Now if we can make the apples do the same.... stay tuned - 8 months from now we will have another summer and Ill keep you posted on how we do!

Blessed harvest!  Happy Fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment