Wednesday, November 13, 2019

A little Birthday Magic

I had a birthday recently and turned 52.  It was a pretty magical birthday this time.  I don't usually look forward to birthdays anymore, but I remember being a kid and so looking forward to my birthday and what surprises that would bring! I have a winter birthday and it is rare that we do not have snow on my birthday.  This year we had no snow.

I got my birthday from Sister Chelle and Niece Ellie a few days early so that I would be able to use it on my birthday!  A little birthday magic... for real!

The little card says "$13.00 - exactly the right amount for a magic wand"!  
There is a line crossed through the 13 because when I asked if I could keep the card with its special message for me, the owner carefully crossed out just that part so that it could become a keepsake.

This is from one of my favorite shops here locally in Wasilla - Black Birch Books and Magical Gifts!  Okay - the real name of the store is actually Black Birch Books and Curiosities, but for me it is Magical gifts!  The store is an eclectic mix of new and used books, magic items (including a whole wall of wands), good energy, amazing people, and anything you could dream of needing, as if it would almost magically appear for you if you wished it to!  

The Spirit of a Reader - greeting customers coming up the path!

The owner is an amazing lady who does great things for the community and for kids (she hires homeless kids from the MYHouse group often), and she hosts authors, donates time, talent and items to fundraisers for good at least once a week, and she is always willing to lend an ear to listen - really listen, when you need it most - even if you didn't know you needed someone to listen at that time.  She is also a Military Veteran, and we are so thankful for that as well.

(Grimm the dog with my magic wand and my newest book "Cyclops" by Clive Cussler)

One of my favorite things about the store is this...Grimm the dog.  Grimm has been the Black Birch store greeter since it opened.  This post was supposed to be written much earlier in the winter season, and I suppose it is fate that I was not able to write it for some reason or another earlier.  Grimm has recently passed away from cancer.  The Universe provided a pause as though knowing that I would need to write this story later.  He was not a young dog, and he was in fact quite old, but he was so loved  by anyone who walked through the door of the store.  This is where he waited for the next customer to come through - as long as there wasn't a child in the store!  If there was a child in the store - he was young again and ready to show them around - through the maze of books and amazing things to see, hear, smell and try....Grimm knew all the best spots.  He was a fan of kids and kids were fans of Grimm.  He usually came with me when I was shopping...I think he could tell that I am dog people - I am certain I smell of dogs, and my dogs would always smell me with envy when I got home - bringing the smell of Grimm and the bookstore with me. I will miss him too.  
There is also a GOFund me site listed there in Grimm's honor, to help pay for some final expenses and to fund some Children's events at the store!  He would think that was so cool!

A closer look at the store front and the spirit of a reader - greeter!


So this is the wand that spoke to me when I was in choosing mode!  It is perfect for me - beautifully smooth,  turned wood, finished with a soft espresso wood oil (I think it is anyway- it's not chemical), but it is just wonderful with a perfect grip for my hand and just the right length to work as a "pocket" or "purse" wand!  Watch out world - I got a pocket wand!  It has become my everyday wand that I carry with me for those times when I might need to add to the magic around me, or to just make sure no one messes with me MoJo!  A little bit of magical fun each day.

If you are in Wasilla, stop by the store on Main Street and visit a little, browse a little and get to know some of the shop spirits and sprites (and maybe the people too) - You won't be sorry!

Be a Reader and Blessed Be!


No comments:

Post a Comment