Saturday, April 18, 2020

Broken Oven Blues

So THIS happened!!!  Yes - that is an oven that has been on fire that you are looking at!  The ends of that broken coil thingy go so hot that they flared up in the middle and broke and then burned bright like welding torches in me oven!

No!  I did not get pictures of the torch like flames going on in the oven  - I now wish that I had because a LOT of people and especially Reedo asked about it and how cool that must have looked!  It would have looked cool maybe if it wasn't trying to set my house on FIRE!

And I was too busy trying to help Chad put it out to stop and take pictures.  In the end he used a wet dish towel that is now a rag - with lots of holes burned in it!  We had to shut off the breaker to the oven - it had some kind of a short it seems.  Off did NOT mean OFF!

As you may know from earlier posts - we have a home warranty that covers appliances and the oven is definitely covered.  I loved this oven!  It has been said before during the multitude of times that Denali Appliance had worked on it that I will probably have to face that I will need a new oven soon.  My oven was at least 25 years old - we think - it was in the house when we bought it and that was 15 years ago!

I am not a fan of getting new necessarily if the good one that I know how to use can be fixed - I dont see the need!   Plus I hate to shop - especially for appliances - but alas - oven on fire equals new oven - no fix option.  Baking soothes me most of the time, shopping does not!  I actually didn't have to do a lot of shopping either because the home warranty place sends me model numbers of the items that match the replacement of mine so this was easy peasy!   


Here is the cookie dough that I was fixing to bake when the thing caught on fire!  This was pre-Corona luckily, so the replacement wasn't so tedious as it might have been otherwise.  The cookie dough went in the freezer, and I went about picking out a new stove!


In the meantime....  luckily I won a cupcake baker at a dollar auction about 10 years ago and I yarded it out and started making some muffins - my best breakfast food!  Carrot muffins and Morning Glory Muffins, and Peachy Poppy Seed Muffin (see Pinterest for recipes on those).


So here it is with the little cups ready to bake! 12 minutes later - Muffins - which I forgot to take pictures of!  They were delightful though!

Ta Daaaahhhhh!!  Here is the beautiful new oven!  Delivered and installed while I was at work!  I got the one that has the "convection bake" or just plain "bake" options and it has 5 burners including one warming one - for that gravy that needs to wait for the biscuits for a few minutes.  It also has two burners of the 5 that can be small or large burners depending on which way you turn the switch!


Here she is with all the packing tape and wrapping off of it.  Isn't it beautiful?
Why did I wait so long?


Inside the oven - lots of levels and racks!  So  a little note on convection cooking - you have to make the recipe at 25* less bake temperature than regular baking.  What I forgot was that we already ran the old oven on 25* less bake temperature because it always ran a little hot - one of its quirks..

So remember the cookie dough waiting to go in the oven?

Batch on the left is convection bake and batch on the right is regular bake - same temperature - just too low on the convection bake ?  We think.  I am slowly getting the hang of the convection thing - it is faster and bakes more evenly, but sometimes I like to roll "old school" and  just bake the treats!  

Happy oven - Happy Life?  Perhaps.

Blessed and Baking Be!

Stay safe and stay well!


No comments:

Post a Comment