Sunday, August 17, 2014

Carry On Mamma - it wont be fair - you are NOT alone!

I have been struggling with “fair” often lately!  My son fell and shattered his elbow in February as you may have read in one of my earlier blogs.  He simply fell down and landed perfectly so that his elbow shattered into more than 15 pieces.  So unfair!  That is “some Bullshit” and could have been a dream stealer for him.  He plays comp hockey and is very good.  He is also one of the nicest kids I know as often as he can be.  He helps others, he is friendly, mostly polite (he is 14 after all), and I see both my kids really trying hard to be good human beings.

How is it fair, and how does he deserve for an accident like this to happen to him?

My oldest son had his very worst injury ever playing soccer – his second sport of choice at one point in time.  He also played comp hockey, and Junior level even.  He was head butted by another player and it required 65 stitches to close the gap, and he had to have a root canal which was his first filling ever!  Again, this is not a bad person gets what he deserves – this is a great person gets screwed!
My best friends husband was taken from us due to cancer.  One of the most awesome humans I ever met was dealt a hand that was more undeserved and unfair than any I had encountered to date.  He and my friend are the most amazing people – if I call – she comes and when he was alive he would come too – chemo pack and all!  He made the fanny pack look cool again!  Complete Bullshit that they had to live through that and that one didn’t make it.  She still practices holding up half the world.  If I can ever be as good a friend as she has been to me I will be in good shape!  Im pretty sure Im not that good yet though – I will have to keep practicing!

I have been without a washer for more than 2 months.  Two days after Reeds second surgery on his elbow, the washer broke down and I have been two months getting it replaced (they tried to repair it, couldn’t get parts, decided to replace it, no equivalent available, etc… its an insurance thing).  So on Wednesday of this week my brand new Electrolux was delivered and installed.  Of course I had a hockey practice to get the youngster to so I put a load in and off I went knowing that when I came home I would have clean clothes in my own house!  NO!  Washer wont spin.  Clothes soaking wet, still dirty, and a brand new broken washer in my house!  Repairman (who is a friend and a great repairman) came over and put the belt back on that appeared to have been shaken off during shipping (the washer came to Alaska on a barge).  He ran it through its paces and it seemed to be working beautifully.  So this time I stayed home while I ran that load.  I heard it go off and thought – ok – I am in business with my 9 loads of laundry!  No Deal!  Washer didn’t make it through one load and my guy can’t come out til Tuesday to see WTH is going on!  More “completely not fair”!  I am making some great community connections at the Laundromat though.

Enter Glennon Doyle Melton and her book “Carry On Warrior – Thoughts on Life Unarmed”.  This is a book that another friend had recommended to me that she picked up while struggling with the grief of losing her son.    I know I just gave you a book recommendation earlier this month, but at least for my girls – this is a must read!  She takes us out of the realm of seeking perfection with her life stories and lets us seek peace in our lives.



It has already made me laugh, cry and say “OK – I am not alone!”  She discusses at one point how we label our emergency contact in our phones as ICE – In Case of Emergency.   She also discusses in that chapter that we need to make sure we tell people that they are not alone.  We can’t try to placate them and make them feel better other than to let them know that they are not alone.  “Life’s not fair”, or “you will be OK” don’t work.  We F%$*N know lifes not fair – we just lived through some crap that pushed that right in our faces – no one has to tell us that it’s not fair.  We might not ever be OK – don’t say that we will.  Just say that we are not alone!  I think we should all change our ICE contact to say “YOU ARE NOT ALONE”!  This is the person that we would call in our direst of need or that someone else would call if we weren’t able to call!  So if we miss a call from that person it will tell us that we missed them but we are still not alone!  Im doing it!  Carry on!


No comments:

Post a Comment