Tuesday, March 21, 2017

The Power of Perspective

I talked in an earlier blog about a "matter of perspective".  Today I would like to talk about the "power of perspective" and introduce you to Andrew Kurka. Andrew is a next level athlete.  He is also 
partially paralyzed.  He is attempting to get to the Olympics.  

 
Check out this link - 

https://www.gofundme.com/andrew-kurka

I met Andrew many years ago as a High school student - at another school - he went to Colony High. He approached me during our hockey tournament that we hosted at the Menard Memorial Center and we didnt always have an announcer.  He said he would like to help us out when we were short announcers for the game and he didnt care who was playing - I said I can't pay you anything except food and he said "Right on"!

The first time I met Andrew he was in a wheelchair.  I knew nothing about how he got there but Im a nosy little mother so I asked a lot of leading questions and Andrew was never afraid to answer anything!  He had been in a 4 wheeler accident that broke his back.

 He was a wonderful announcer for us and ended up doing a lot of our games even when it wasnt tournament time. It turned out that the local radio station interviewed me about the tournament and games while Andrew was announcing the game and I let them know that he was interested in becoming a DJ - it really was fated as he had just mentioned that to me earlier in the day.  I was so nervous about being interviewed and Andrew said "Mrs Humphreys - just relax and talk - its what you do all day!"  It was way easier than I thought it would be - mostly because Andrew told me it would be.  IF you watch the video at the bottom of the link page above you will hear his great voice - he can say "wafflestomper" and make the chicks swoon!  Im pretty sure I was one of the "old ladies" who called him a lot!

Andrew has never felt sorry for himself that I could tell - the first time I saw him cry is in the video in the link - he always had a smile and a positive attitude - even when his car blew up in the Menard parking lot when it was twenty below zero.  He smiled and said "I can sleep in the car if I have to"  I said "No you wont"!  I took him home that evening and learned even more about this amazing young man who makes friends everywhere he goes and can uplift the most downtrodden soul.

The Houston hockey team played sled hockey with Andrews team one day and the guys thought it was awesome - Rye (my son who recently passed) said "Mom - they are amazing - I cant keep up with them and Im in really good shape"!  Sled hockey is a sport on the ice where your blades are on the bottom of a sled and you use little hockey sticks to steer, sled and score.  You can find lots of videos on you tube if you are interested in learning more..

We have been struggling in our journey with the "why us" question and with connecting to one another.  Andrew addressed it wonderfully in his video - there are lots of "why us" moments.  I never saw or heard an inkling of it from him when we got to hang out together (its been a while - he is busy as heck on the race circuit and I couldnt be happier!)  There are no clear answers, and we have also thought hard about "if not us then who would have lost their child?"  It is not something I would wish on anyone.  It is one of those things that has no answer in this realm.  We will survive this when maybe another mother would not.  Andrews mother has survived this with him - making her a different person Im sure as my experience has made me a different person.  Stronger maybe.  Maybe a touch too "smothermother" as Reed says.

When I look in the mirror now I sometimes see a new reflection of me.  In pictures, we sometimes are smiling but it doesnt quite reach the eyes the same way it used to - I wonder if that will ever go away?  I often through the years thought about Andrews mother and how she made it through - as I made it through when Reed shattered his elbow a few years ago and how terrifying it is to let your child do anything at all afterwards.  Im not sure I am imagining it the same way it has been for Andrews mother - I think her road has been longer than mine thus far - who knows.

Since I started this post Andrew has won at least three Gold Medals on the race circuit and his positive attitude and positive perspective carries on in everything he does and everyone he meets!

I am so incredibly honored to know this young man and to be a part of his journey!  Forward with faith Andrew!
Image result for andrew kurka gold

Check out more about Andrew HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment