Sunday, March 24, 2019

A window to the Herb world!

Last summer was a great summer for my herb patches - the ones that I keep on the side of the shed (read about that here) did beautifully and I was able to bring most of them indoors to have fresh herbs throughout the winter.  Its one of my favorite things to have on hand and growing them is much cheaper than buying them especially if you are saving them from your summertime season!


I was able to bring in 4 Rosemary, three Sage, a Thyme, and for the first time ever, 1 Lemon Balm!  The Rosemary I use ice cubes to water them most of the time, as pouring water over them doesn't work well - it needs a slower watering than poured water gives it.  In the summer I just water them the same as all the other plants - it evaporates quickly with the wind and sun.


The lemon balm struggled during the dark months but now that it is getting lighter it is really growing again!  I did give them a drink of worm juice about every 6 weeks this winter and that has made a big difference I think in how well everything held up.  Lemon Balm (Melissa Officinalis) has a plethora of uses; tea, on cold sores, sore throat gargle, aromatherapy - put some in the sachet with your lavender for a delightful nights sleep!


I recently had to harvest some of the Sage because it was getting out of control in the window and trying to take over the window herb world!  It's not a bad thing - I just hung it up to dry and I still have fresh and dried.  Win - Win! 


Here is the "window wonderland" of herbs!  the other plants are a little cactus garden and two baby lemon trees!  Yes you can grow lemons here indoors too!


And this is what that looks like!  Almost ready and a mans fist sized lemon!  I only got one lemon this year - last year I let the tiny tree set six lemons and I think I might have drained the poor thing, so this year I only let it set one lemon.  It was so hard to knock those blossoms off and pluck the baby lemons away, but I am trying to save a tree here!  

As you are planning your planting and growing this year - make sure you save room for a few herb pots to bring in!  You wont be sorry!

Blessed Be!


No comments:

Post a Comment