Sunday, March 8, 2020

Winter Can't Wait!

 It is Spring Break here in the Burg of Big Lake Alaska!  March 8.  I have been waiting and waiting for this week to get my greenhouse open and get things growing!  I have folks from all across the country asking if I have all my seeds planted and I have had to say no - a resounding and hard no!

Because here is what my greenhouse looks like today!
I have not been able to get into the greenhouse to get any dirt out, nor any pots to plant in!  I have been keeping the door shoveled out as best I can, but two weeks ago it snowed, and then it rained, and then it got -25 below and now that has sealed the greenhouse shut with the full force of nature - literally!

We have got 2' of snow over the last 48 hours and the snow is still coming!  We have shoveled and plowed and shoveled and plowed!  


There were some brave and bold fishermen on the lake today in their hut, as the snow was still coming down - this was about 1:30 pm - they left right after I took this picture.  You can just see the fishing hut between the trees out on the lake.  At least it's not 20 below!  They can't drive out to the site though as the snow is too deep and it had to be a serious hike out to the middle of the lake in all that white stuff.


So in the garage I have the worm bin, and I had some other pots that we had brought in to let the peppers finish out the growing season last year and one large pot that had a tomato in it, so I brought them upstairs and put them to work.

Because I can't wait ANY LONGER!!!


Ahhhh, there they are!  Some tiny tomatoes coming up exactly as they should be for this time of year! Those Chocolate and Back Cherry's that will be so delicious.  I could not wait any longer, no matter how much snow there is or when it will stop.  I will be planting more shortly - I have a bit more dirt that I can use.  Can't wait any longer!

May the sun be shining and spring be showing her generous smile in your part of the world....and if she isn't, hang in there, plant your seeds and ...it won't be long before she is.

Blessed be!




No comments:

Post a Comment