Sunday, January 31, 2021

A Masked Madness

 I am supposed to help police the wearing of the masks in our school - actually all of our staff are supposed to police that, make sure the kids are socially distancing and wearing the masks correctly.  It is one of the most difficult things to do, and I certainly don't want to get anyone in trouble for not wearing a mask.   One student a few weeks ago came in and threw his mask on the bench and said "Im not wearing it anymore - suspend me I don't care!  Im not wearing it!"  He couldnt see that I was laughing a little under my mask because I have felt that way often recently.  He talked to his mom and put his mask back on and went back to class.  Alls well that ends well I guess.

Sometimes I dont see that they arent wearing a mask because I am mesmerized by their beautiful smile and the wholeness of their wonderful faces.  I choose only to see the good and the beauty of that maskless moment.  Sometimes I don't want to see that they arent wearing a mask, because their faces are so beautiful.

Mrs Barney wearing her hard hat and mask being the "safest worker in the hood"!

Then I have to put on my "masked game face" and make them put a mask on.  We start over at every break because the kids aren't wearing them at home, and really dont want to put them on when they come back - its a whole retraining again.  I made more than 300 masks in 2020.  Most to give, some to keep, and a few for emergency use just in case.  Put it in your pocket and save it for later.


Even our dogs freak out if I put a mask on at home - even to see if it fits.  One goes and lays down in the dog beds and the other one spins circles and can't figure out if he should fight or flight or hide or.... spin circles! Above photo is actually Brix hiding from fireworks over New Years, but the premise is the same for mask wearing!  I got freaking Darth Vader on Hockey skates all the time in the house and this dog barks at mama in a mask!  Go Figure!

One student who is a transfer student from our school - he rides one of our buses and then gets on his school but at our school, I was struggling to recognize with his mask on  and of course he always wears a hat before school too - and I would ask him his name every day for a week - maybe longer.  I recognized his eyes, but the mask took his smile away and his name just wouldnt come.  He would always reply "Its me,Mrs Humphreys! MT".  After the first week I started asking him as a joke because I recognized him with the mask on, but I forgot that he could not see me smiling under my mask!  He was sad and asked me "will you ever recognize me again?" I laughed and said - "I know who you are!  I just forgot that you couldn't see that I was joking with you!"  Now it is a funny little joke we have between us and he gets it every time - sometimes he laughs and tells me his name even though I have said his name already.  A way to connect and personalize something that has taken some of the personality out of our world by covering up faces and personalities and smiles.

Me and Mrs Reese with our "miss you" sign - last year before we were able to be open all the time.  No kids in the building and we were still masked to the eyebrows!

I know that this is what I have to do, for my job and to keep my job and hopefully it really is to keep everyone safe, but I sure hope it is gone soon and we can wear our smiles, our love and our wholeness and broken ness loud and proud for all to see.

Blessed Be and be safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment