Sunday, February 11, 2024

Every Baby Deserves A Blanket!

 

Early last week I was interviewed by some of the kids from our Yearbook class about some of the things I like about the school and working with the kids, and they also asked what I do to relax or have fun!  I always have a few answers for that but right at the top of my list along with gardening, is quilting!  I know you have all seen some of the quilts I have made in other posts, but the kids asked me how many quilts I have made - and I had to tihink about it!  I have made over 100 quilts!


I keep track of them in a couple of "Quilters Journal" books that I have been given or have just converted a blank book into, and now there is even an app on the I-Phone that lets me keep track!

This was the first Quilters Journal I got - from my mom in 1999!  It doesn't have all the quilts in it - one has to remember to take pictures before the quilts get given or sent!

I have made a wide variety of quilts in a myriad of colors and for all different reasons!  Hockey, Basketball, Homeless kids, weddings, babies and the list goes on!


 Here is the second book resting on the open pages of the first - I have lots of pages to fill still in this 2020 start book!

I was asked one time also why I make quilts for people I dont know,  or for people who might not use it or treat it well....  and the most simple answer is....because every baby deserves a blanket!  

This is my moms Nativity set that she gets out every Christmas and it has s special place in the living room for the whole of the Christmas Season.  Long ago when I was a kid we spent a lot of time at a Ceramics shop (Knik Knack Mud Shack) and I remember her carefully painting each piece of this nativity set!  It is a treasure.  Can you see the bright green square in the middle of the manger scene?

Look close..... that little square is covering up the baby Jesus.  It is a square of fleece that is the same as the teddy bear Rye had - that my mom made him.  I didnt remember the story until my mom reminded me this year that every time Rye was at her house during the Christmas season, he would cover the baby Jesus with a little square of fabric.  She tried to take it off and he would find something to put right back on it.....a square of felt, a peice of quilt batting, whatever he found that resembled a blanket.  In his words - even as a youngster- "every baby deserves a blanket!"  This year, mom was fussing that the baby's blanket was dusty and she wanted to wash it and I said "Why don't you just cut a new one?"  She said, "Because its the last one that Rye cut and covered that baby Jesus with......because every baby deserves a blanket."

 Blessed be and may you and all your babies have blankets!


No comments:

Post a Comment